26 August 2007

KOTBR #25 - Good Beer Show (or Sorry About Your Car, Chris)

I'll start my story the day after where I spent about an hour deodorizing the back of Chris' car.

Yeah, I know. It's gross and kind of embarrassing. There's no excuse for that at my age. Thankfully though, Mike was there to take care of me and he did an amazing job. Hopefully the car bears no memory of the event anymore either.

So, yeah. Onto the Warmup Beer Thing:

Upland -- Ard Ri

This is Upland's version of an Imperial Irish Red. It was indeed a beautiful brownish red color. But neither 'Imperial' nor 'Irish' came to mind when I was drinking it. I'd give it 2 Mugs if I had to rate it.

Onto the reviews:

Two Brothers -- Hop Juice -- 3 Mugs

Now I've had Hop Juice on tap and I remember it being very good. And while I was a little less impressed this time, I still liked it and I could see myself drinking it on a muggy summer evening. The taste was smooth and surprisingly not alcoholic even though it is a near 10% A.B.V.

Stone Brewing Co. -- Oaked Arrogant Bastard -- 3 Mugs

If you were expecting the usual (very powerful), you may be disappointed. The beer is a more oaky and mild than the Arrogant Bastard and tastes very smooth.

Three Floyds -- Fantabulous Resplendence -- 2.5 Mugs

This beer had initial punch, but the taste fizzled out. Three Floyd's beer to me overall (with the exception of the Dark Lord) is kind of like a big, dumb, slobbery dog. You still love it even if it never brings you what you really want. Instead of the newspaper you get a dead squirrel or instead of a balanced, full-flavored finish you get a shallow one. I know Three Floyd's is pretty high on many lists so maybe I'm missing something. Maybe someone can help?

We also brought Brasserie des Rocs Abbaye and the De ProefBrouwerij Lochristi Lozen Boer to the party and they were both Belgian-tastic, of course.

After that was a little fuzzy. We went to the Heorot and then towards home where things were, well...gross.

Anyways, we had a great time with the folks from Good Beer Show. Thanks for inviting us!

3 comments:

  1. "Three Floyd's beer to me overall (with the exception of the Dark Lord) is kind of like a big, dumb, slobbery dog. You still love it even if it never brings you what you really want. Instead of the newspaper you get a dead squirrel or instead of a balanced, full-flavored finish you get a shallow one."

    That is an awesome metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mission Accomplished. Too bad I had to skip out on the Belgiums. In response of FFF. Nick is not afraid to throw curve balls. AK is my favorite AP. GBH is dazzling. DN when it is fresh is the "precious". Got Racer 5 speeding its way across the country right now.

    JeffreyT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again and great show, Jeffrey T! Yeah, we wish you could have stuck around for the Belgiums. Maybe next time? I hope Vicki had a good trip to Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete