14 June 2009

KOTBR #76 - Do This In Memory of Jim

The original plans for Roundtable #76 - a Fountain Square pubcrawl - were set in motion by none other than our beloved Jim:
Here are my thoughts--

6:30ish - Dinner and beer @ Siam Square.

Then to the Brass Ring (which, when I last checked, had Two Hearted on tap and some other craft stuff in bottles) and then a nightcap at Deano's. Sound okay? Feel free to disagree/make other suggestions.

--Jim
It sounds like a fine idea to us, so we ran with it. And everything was going smoothly until the day before the event:
My head is so full of snot from this cold that I'm going to bail on the roundtable this evening. I can neither smell nor taste at this point. Sorry all.

--Jim
Obviously, we were heartbroken. But instead of canceling the crawl, we soldiered on, keeping Jim in our hearts. And as we worked our way through the night, it almost felt as though Jim were with us the whole way. We also learned that absence really does make the heart grow fonder. It was with these stirring feeling in our hearts that we decided that KOTBR #76 would be a tribute to Jim.

* * * * *

KOTBR Jim was born a very long time ago somewhere in Indiana. Jim was a bright student, and quickly made his way through all levels of school, eventually earning his law degree. He had a stellar record in the courtroom, which helped pave his way to a career as a professor of law at Ivy Tech.


KOTBR Jim - Ewell vs. Robinson, 1812.

Much like Jim, Avery White Rascal appears cloudy, light yellow and banana-y looking. It has a scent of oranges, peaches, and a citrus grove reminding me of the air freshener that Jim likes to use in his classroom at Ivy Tech. Like the beers Jim loves, Avery White Rascal is fizzier than expected but just a hint of creaminess on the finish. This beer is a great representation of one of Jim's favorite styles, the Belgian White Ale brewed with Spices. Much like the doughy bread that Jim likes to eat during his favorite Jewish holiday season, Christmas, it is quite yeasty and highly spiced. It's an amazingly drinkable for Avery and I give it 3.8 mugs. A great accompaniment to my Red Curry with Tofu.



Avery White Rascal
Rod: 3.75 Mugs | Jess: 3.8 Mugs | Chris: 3.8 Mugs | Gina: 2.95 Mugs | Mike: 2.99 Mugs
KOTBR Score: 3.75 Mugs

* * * * *

Although Jim loved lawyering, he felt that work alone was no way to lead a fulfilling life. With that in mind, he began the next step in his life by becoming a devout follower of Jewishness.


KOTBR Jim - Jewish Place, 1971.

Our second stop of the evening was at the Brass Ring bar to review Bell’s Two Hearted Ale. When Jim is not celebrating his Jewishness, he loves to stop in this place because it reminds him of the time he spent as a swing dancer back in the 50’s. And he loves Two Hearted because its pine and citrus aromas are reminiscent of the time he spent as a lumberjack in the Cascade Mountains. Both of these activities were a solid foundation for Jim’s time with Manchester United. 4.25 Mugs.


Bell's Two Hearted
Chris: 5.0 Mugs | Gina: 4.25 Mugs | Rodney: 4.25 Mugs | Jess: 4.6 Mugs | Mike: 3.75 Mugs
KOTBR Score: 4.38 Mugs

* * * * *

Of course no man lives a life of servitude alone, and Jim found that watching football was a suitable escape. In 2008, his acts of devotion came to the attention of Manchester United Football Club. He joined his beloved Reds for their team photo, and served as an inspiration to the club as they earned their record 11th Premiership title.


KOTBR Jim - Manchester United, 2008.

When we arrived at our final destination for the night, we had three beers to choose from - Bell's Oberon, Spaten Lager and Franziskaner Hefe Weiss. Now those of you who don't know Jim might be interested to learn that he was big into punk music in the 80s. Punk is the American form of German Synthpop (think Dieter on Sprockets) and it's Jim's favorite music. On top of that, Jim also had an opportunity to play for his favorite German football team, Manchester United. For these two reasons, I was incredibly excited to see two German beers on tap at Deano's. I went with the summery Frankziskaner Hefe Weiss, which is brewed by Spaten as well. This beer smells like a fresh baked banana cream pie with slight hints of acetone. The mouthfeel is slightly heavy for a German Hefe Weiss. Flavors of banana chips, cream, simple syrup, cinnamon and orange all round out this classic, yeasty Hefe Weiss. Come to think of it, I don't even know if Jim likes bananas, so he might not like this. But I do know that he loves German Synthpop and German football, and that's good enough for me. This is a great summer beer and I give it 4.20 mugs.



Franziskaner Weissbier
Mike: 3.64 Mugs | Gina: 3.90 Mugs | Jess: 3.90 Mugs | Rodney: 4.20 Mugs
KOTBR Score: 3.93 Mugs

* * * * *

Our palates satisfied, and our hearts filled with love, we bid each other adieu. We went home with Jim in our minds, knowing that sometimes memories are almost as good as the real thing.

Here's to you Jim - Our favorite law-professing, Jewishness-studying, swing-dancing, cascade-mountain-lumberjacking, German-football-and-dance-music-enjoying Knight of the Beer Roundtable. You're a five mugger in our hearts.

12 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    That's freakin' hilarious!

    5 mug rating for that review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm speechless. I'd say that you guys are "sweet," but I don't know that "sweet" is quite the word I'm looking for.

    Anyway, the next time I'm on a Jewish pilgrimage to Mecca, I'll think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 mugs for the Photoshopping! Looks like Jim had a great time even in his absence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I say to Jim - רק לשתות קצת בירה כבר לעזאזל!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa - there's a nasty Hebrew word in my previous comment. I swear, that's not what I typed into the translator!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gracias - convinced me to reserve a 1/4brl of 2 hearted for the next kegerator selection!!

    will be interesting to see if it is a letdown after having a dipa on tap (boulder's mojo risin, which I'd suggest to HBG for a tasting - quite good IMO)

    Cheers!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice choice Tom! 2♥'d is my favorite beer ever, hence the 5 Mug rating. When we were at Brass Ring, I mentioned to everybody that one of the things I love about it is that it remains drinkable beyond one or two beers. That fairly uncommon among IPAs -- to my palate most are one-and-done regardless how much I enjoyed the first sip. Drinkability is important when you buy things by the keg, so I hope you feel the same about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear what you're saying, Chris. Even though Alpha King (which I love) is not technically an IPA, it drinks like one, and I can handle only one before I have to move to something else. Things aren't that way with Two Hearted. I, like you, can do more than one in a sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the most drinkable selection I've had on tap = great lakes brewing co's "dortmunder gold." at least for the summer months.

    damn I miss GLBC in Indy.

    ReplyDelete