09 January 2008

"Extreme beers" get some pub

Eric Asimov, wine critic at the New York Times, offers a panel review of several "extreme beers" (basically, all are double or Imperial IPA's) and discusses the hop bomb phenomenon. The panel's favorite? HBG's only beer with a 5 mug rating--Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. For those who prefer pretty pictures to words, check out the multimedia feature that goes along with Asimov's article. And for a previous discussion of the extreme beer genre, see this Beer Advocate article.

6 comments:

  1. Oops. Well, Chris beat us to the punch here, so I guess a hat tip might be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I have to give my Dad credit! He forwarded the article to me.

    Fantastic that they selected 90 Minute as the #1. I happened to grab some of their #2, Weyebacher Simcoe Double IPA, while I was home for Christmas. I've had one bottle so far and I have to agree that it's extremely tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be interested in finding their #2: Weyerbacher Double Simcoe I.P.A.

    Weyerbacker is a Pennsylvania brewery, so if we can't find it in Indiana, I bet we could in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought some Weyerbacher the last time we were at Jungle Jim's, so your Ohio guess is dead on, Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at their wholesaler page, they appear to distribute the entire NE, down the Atlantic coast to NC and then over into Ohio. Indiana seems a good bet to be one of the next states they distribute to!

    http://www.weyerbacher.com/cwo/Wholesalers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I emailed Jungle Jim's. They have 4 packs for $12.

    ReplyDelete