14 September 2007

Roundtable #28: I'm slowly bugging the piss out of Jim and the others

First, it was my assertions that "The Breakfast Club" is a chick flick (the poll stated that 2/3's of you disagree with me, which is fine. Just remember, the majority of voters voted for W in the last election, and they were ALL WRONG!).

Then, it is because I like to sing along with the likes of Grover Washington Jr. and accompany myself on the air bass. And yes, for the record, I like Will Smith, the musician and the actor.

I topped it all off with my exclamation that I thought "Anchorman" was a stupid movie. To which all the other Knights gang tackled me and gave me purple nurples until I cried "uncle". By the way, guys, my left nipple is still bleeding a little, thank you very much.

To be honest, I think they are all trying to turn me into some zombie that worships all things they do. By this time next year, I fear I'll be saying things like:

*Molly Ringwald is the second coming of Katharine Hepburn.

*John Hughes is like a god. His movies are like video clips of my soul.

*Music isn't worth listening to unless it is difficult to find and it is only available on vinyl. A pox on FM radio! All hail CBGB!

*Richard Pryor? George Carlin? Lenny Bruce? Bill Cosby? Steve Martin? Cheap hacks, all of them. Will Ferrell is such an intelligent comedian that is very approachable to the common man.

Thankfully, despite our differences, we all can agree that drinking beer is a good thing. And drinking good beers is a great thing. So let's talk beer...

As mentioned by others, we first visited the office and warehouse of Cavalier Distributing, who represents many great beers including a ton of German beers. As Bob O. pointed out, that is probably a good thing for them, considering the number of German descended populations in southern Indiana. They served us Weihenstephaner Dunkel Weiss, which is a very pleasant beer. Very tasty. We'll have to do a further review at a later time.

After the visit, we headed to the Kellerbar at the Rathskeller to continue our German beer rampage. Next up: Weihenstephaner Oktoberfest. Now, Weihenstephaner is not one of the six breweries of Munich, so their Oktoberfest is not an official Oktoberfest beer. But it was worth drinking. One of the great things about O-fest beers is the variety (and I'll go into more detail in a later posting). This particular beer has many similarities to a Belgian. Yeasty in nose; citrusy in taste. Very cloudy to look at. Drinkable, at least to me. Not my favorite of the Oktoberfest beers, but worth ordering if you find yourself at the Rathskeller. I give it 3 mugs.

Erdinger Hefe Weissbier Dark came up as a disappointment to most everyone. From the looks and description, we should have been on cloud nine. I don't know if it is because it was served at such a cold temperature, but there was no taste or scent to the dark beer. I was just shocked. As it warmed up, some very very very very very very very very slight notes of roasted malts started to come out. But nothing too special. Again, I'm going to try this again sometime, only at home where I can control the starting temperature. And I'll make it the first beer I drink. Because I fear that perhaps with all the super strong super flavored beers that American craft breweries are coming out with, that perhaps my taste buds are numbed to more subtle flavors. Like Mike, I give it a 1.5 mug rating because it just didn't impress. But for the record, I'd take this over BudMillerCoors any day and twice on Sunday.

Post script: for the record, I don't dislike Will Ferrell. He has some very funny movies and characters. Also, I like the Clash. I also like Grover Washington Jr. Really, there isn't much musically that I dislike. And I enjoy many John Hughes movies. Just not the chick flick ones that star that red-headed devil Molly.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not a rock snob. I only play one on t.v.

    My musical guilty pleasures:

    1. Culture Club - The genius of Boy George. Do you really want to hurt me?

    2. "Break My Stride" by Matthew Wilder.

    3. Hall and Oates - No one better at conveying 1980's blue-eyed soul.

    So at the next roundtable, you can make fun of me for grooving to "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)." And I do promise to play the air bass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition, I can see our next poll: Whether Anchorman is a movie worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nobody gonna slow me down, oh no, I got to keep on moooooovin...

    Jim, YOU SUCK for getting that into my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this was a beer blog?@?! What is with this movie and soccer stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, we have always injected the dynamic of our roundtables into our reviews. And a lot of the time, that dynamic includes more than just hops, yeast, and barley. That's part of the fun of reviewing the beers (at least we think so). If we sat around at our roundtables and talked about nothing but beer, that would be one-dimensional, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete