We're attempting to start a new feature where we run six (hopefully) quick questions by the folks behind the scenes at breweries to get a little more insight into what they do and like and how they got their start. We'd like to thank our second guest, Chris Cochran from Stone Brewing Co.
1) Who are you and where do you work?
- Chris Cochran, Marketing Director for Stone Brewing Co.
2) What inspired you to start brewing beer? How did you get your start?
- A friend in college brewed beer, and that got me into “good” beer, which was not very wide spread in the early-mid 80’s. I became the guy that would always bring his own beer to parties, and things just continued from there.
3) What's your brewing mission? What are you trying to accomplish with your beer?
- Stone’s mission is to “Be Amazing!” And I am not sure if we are trying to accomplish anything besides making great beer for people seeking great beer. I guess you could say we are trying to educate people’s palates as to what beer can and should taste like.
4) Was there a beer that you benchmarked your own against? How did you know your beer was good enough to take to the general public?
- I guess at the starting time of Stone, we looked at Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for something to “loosely” model the Stone Pale Ale on...sorta...
5) What beer are you proudest of? Which of your beers is your personal favorite? Why?
- Come on, who could not be proud of Arrogant Bastard Ale?! My personal favorite is our Stone IPA.
6) Which beers outside of your own do you enjoy? What beer do you wish you came up with? Why?
- I enjoy all kinds of beers, and it depends on the occasion. We have 32 on tap in the Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens, along with close to a 100 bottled beers, so it is hard to say. I have always been really fond of Three Floyds Gumball Head Wheat Beer...just amazing.