22 February 2008

Beer Diary - Mike

Gina and I have a problem. It's not that we're alcoholics; In fact we don't drink all that often. The problem is that we can't stop buying beer.

In the fridge:

1 - Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
1 - Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence
3 - (Unibroue) Trader Joe's 2007 Vintage Ale
1 - Barley Island Bourbon Barrel-Aged Oatmeal Stout
1 - Sierra Nevada 2008 Bigfoot Barleywine
1 - Shipyard Brewing Co. Pumpkin Ale
1 - Iron City Beer Premium Lager
1 - Kasteel Rouge
1 - Barley Island Sinister Minister Belgian Style Black Ale 2007
1 - Aventinus Weizen Eisbock
1 - Bells Hopslam
1 - HeBrew Jewbelation Eleven
1 - Kreik Cherry Lambic
1 - Rogue Morimoto Soba Ale
2 - cans of Schlitz (leftover from the Retro Beer Challenge)
2 - cans Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
1 - Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter
1 - Goose Island Oatmeal Stout
1 - Sierra Nevada Porter
1 - Sinebrychoff Porter (2000 vintage, straight of the shelf of PartyPak)
1 - Dogfish Golden Era Imperial Pilsner
1 - Great Divide Saint Bridget' Robust Porter
1 - Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale
1/2 Growler - Schlafly Coffee Stout
1 - Lakefront Cherry Lager
1 - Unlabeled Avery
1 - Brooklyn Lager
1 - Sapporo Beer
1 - Warsteiner Premium Verun (whatever that means)

And on the shelf:

1 - Schlafly Reserve Barleywine Style Ale (2006)
1 - Mikkeller Santa's Little Helper (2007)
1 - Real Ale Brewing Company Brewhouse Brown Ale
1 - Real Ale Brewing Company Full Moon Pale Rye Ale
3 - Founders Breakfast Stout
1 - Baltika 9 Extra Lager
2 - Kasteel Rouge

My current physical situation (no gym membership, no bike rides, 10 extra pounds) means that none of this is getting drank right now, either. The problem is that there's a whole shelf (and both crisper drawers) of my fridge filled with beer.

This weekend, while reading The Brewmaster's Table, it occurred to me that in order to do proper pairings, it would be best to have on hand at least one beer representing each BJCP style. Since the fridge is so full already, we'll see how that goes.

16 February 08 Location: My Mom's House, Trenton IL

Rogue Santa's Private Reserve - Trips back to Illinois means visits to Illinois liquor stores. Usually by the time I've bought a six of something to drink over the weekend my mom will remind me that I've got four left over from the last time I was home. The Santa's Private Reserve was left from Christmas.

Tea colored with no head, yeasty bready elements in the nose mix with scents of pine and orange peel. The beer had a flat front, and worked the sides of the mouth. Earthy flavors ring out, with no reflection of the nose - the primary taste I get is fresh cut green beans. An interesting and drinkable beer, with a tiny hop bite on the back end - not offensive, not very good either.

18 February 08 Location: Home

Founders Breakfast Stout - This is a beer I picked up back in Illinois. I was busy writing up the latest Beer School entry and suggested that our readers pour themselves a beer and settle in - then I realized I was really talking to myself.

Deep black opaque body supports a thin ghostly head that doesn't go away through the whole pint. Nose of chocolate, malt, and coffee the leads to a straight-up coffee shot taste. Cold or warm, the flavors remain - a top of mouth coffee bite. It would be interesting to compare this against Schlafly's Coffee Stout - I suspect they're very similar beasts. At $15 for a four pack, is the Founders worth it? I'm not so sure.

8 comments:

  1. I've thought the same thing about a Founders Breakfast Stout vs. Schlafly Coffee Stout comparison. It would be interesting, but I kinda doubt there'd be much question that Founders is better. When cost (and availability) is considered, though, Founders is definitely a tough sell. And when I'm going for a coffee stout, I usually reach for Bell's Java anyway!

    Nice fridge collection! I'm reminded of Hunter S. Thompson's line from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas:

    "Once you get into locked a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno... Gina and I are both big on Schlafly's - that might be the St. Louis showing, though. There's probably a coffee stout showdown coming eventually - maybe if we ever get that Hoosier Beer Geek breakfast put together.

    As far as the collection goes, those two cans of Schlitz are available to anyone who want them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if we're giving away beer, we still have four cans of Chelada...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got bad with keeping stuff in the fridge, but my wife made me move things to my "beer closet" but I think that backfired. I would stop buying beer because I couldn't fit it in the fridge, but the closet opened up alot of space for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice collection in the fridge. I have a full fridge in the basement for beer and the wife gave me a wine fridge for Christmas for the 750ml bottles of beer.

    Interestingly enough regarding the Schlitz, I did a blind tasting with it, PBR, Special Export, Point Lager and Old Style at a Chicago bar years ago and we all agreed the Schlitz was the best. Go figure.

    When you do a coffee stout comparison, I would assume the Barley Island Black Majic Java Stout would be present..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Generik, Schlitz was our dark horse during the HBG Retro Beer Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nopthing wrong with a little cheap beer here and there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Schlafly's Coffee Stout used to be my drink of choice at the pre-BadaBoomz BW3. I'd move up to Black Chocolate Stout if I knew I wasn't driving home. It's very sad that BadaBoomz hasn't had it in awhile, but I suppose I would take Brugge Black over that anyway.

    ReplyDelete