02 July 2007

If you threw a party, and invited everyone you knew*

*or didn't know

Hoosier Beer Geek has always been an open invite sort of thing; We're happy to have anyone who wants to drink good beer. When the most recent INtake article ran, it ran with a sidebar that extended that invitation to INtake readers.

The thing is, we've never actually had unexpected guests before. And what we do doesn't have much form - we're just drinking, after all. So when we arrived at BARcelona Tapas to find four new guests, it came as quite a surprise.

I hope that I served as a good host to our guests (Jeremy, Mary, Jeff and Jessica) - I got the feeling that they weren't exactly familiar with the blog, which meant that they didn't really know how we function - which is to say, we barely function at all. "So what do the Hoosier Beer Geeks do?" I was asked. "Well, we drink beer."

And that's pretty much the gist of it. If you come out we'll be happy to talk about beer styles, or local brewers, or what we've drank. We'll be just as happy to talk about soccer, the Colts, or music. In fact, we're a lot more likely to talk about the latter group.

* * * * *

My feelings on BARcelona Tapas are pretty similar to Jim's; I'm quite happy to have the option downtown, and everything I had was tasty. BARcelona is the sort of place that promotes the expansion of the pallet - which definitely runs parallel to the ideas behind Hoosier Beer Geek.

* * * * *

Perhaps I should have done a better job explaining to our guest the whole critical beer drinking process. Our feature beer was Delirium Tremens had a sweet, fresh, bubblegum-like nose that was intoxicating - after leaving my nose in the glass for what seemed like a good minute I began to grow self-conscious that perhaps I was putting on a show. But DT's nose is a fantastic thing - I could be happy just smelling the beer. Based on nose alone I'd think it was a five mug beer.

Unfortunately the beer's taste doesn't quite live up to its nose - but that's not to say it isn't enjoyable. Once on the tongue the almost overwhelming taste of applesauce comes through, and the applesauce taste also comes out in the nose. This is a chewy, appley beer - but not in any way like a cider. It's much too sweet for that.

Delirium Tremens is incredibly easy to drink, which can be a bad thing. Although the ABV isn't incredibly high, you will know you drank this beer. It lead to a coma-like sleep. I'd give this beer a four mug rating - it's a flavorful experience of a beer, and begs to be really savored.

1 comment: