12 December 2009

Hoosier Beer Geek's Last Minute Holiday Gift Guide (Part 3)

I know a thing or two about gift giving. I share a lot in common with a famous gift giver...cheeks like roses...round belly that shakes like a bowl full of jelly...and covered in fur. So I'm going to share with you a couple of tips when giving beer as a gift.

Give bombers, not six packs. Six packs are great to take as a gift to summertime cookouts, but it lacks a certain amount of class for yuletide festivities. How do you wrap a six pack? With bombers, you can use a wine gift bag and you're all set. Also, bombers are best when shared. And unless you are a drunk like me, are rarely consumed all by your lonesome. They say it is better to give than receive. I say it is better to give, and then receive! Bombers are good for the recipient and good for the giver!

Go big or stay home. It's winter, which means winter beers. Look for beers that are seasonal or will age well (which honestly, winter beers tend to age better, don't they?). So choose a high ABV beer, like an imperial, a barley wine, or a big Belgian. While you are at it, take several and open them at your holiday party. I bring big beers to my family gatherings. Nothing says Merry Christmas like a toasted family!

Keeping those tips in my, I would suggest you consider beers from Mikkeller. We reviewed a large lineup of Mikkeller beers last year, and they have several beers that would work well as gifts...Black, Big Worse, and (not surprising) Santa's Little Helper. Those and others meet my beer gift criteria.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. And I have one more suggestion with beer gift giving that doesn't follow the rules I set forth. Whether you holidays find you traveling or staying at home with friends and family, giving beer from your favorite local brewery is always a good idea. It is a way of showing pride in your hometown and homestate and to spread the word that Indiana is producing great craft beer. Follow my advice and everybody will be saying "Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night!"

1 comment:

  1. I present another option for a gift for the beer lover..

    http://www.33beers.com

    Pocket sized beer note taking book. Very well designed I would say and would be great for those of us that like attending beer festivals.

    ReplyDelete