09 April 2009

Hoosier Beer and Baseball Geek

I really enjoy baseball and I like to frequent Major League ballparks in Cincinnati and Chicago. But for cheap, family fun, minor league baseball is the way to go. And Indiana has plenty. Professional baseball in Indiana has its first pitch tonight when the Indianapolis Indians face the Toledo Mud Hens at Victory Field in Indianapolis.

But baseball isn't the only thing that local ballparks have to offer. What is baseball without beer? I contacted the five professional ballclubs in Indiana to find out what's on tap. For you beer and baseball geeks, here is your starting lineup:


Victory Field
Opened: 1996
Home of the Indianapolis Indians
International League
AAA Affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates
2009 Opening Day: April 9

Indiana Beers Available:
Oaken Barrel Victory Amber (21 oz. draft, $5.75) at the Backstop Grille, Section 111
Oaken Barrel Razz Wheat (21 oz. draft, $5.75) at the Home Run Grille, Centerfield Plaza

Other Beers Available:
Guinness, Blue Moon, Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors Light, Smirnoff Ice, Smirnoff Tea, Corona Light


Parkview Field
Opened: 2009
Home of the Fort Wayne Tin Caps
Midwest League
Single A Affiliate of the San Diego Padres
2009 Opening Day: April 16

Indiana Beers Available:
Mad Anthony (two taps along first base side)
Granite City

Other Beers Available:
On Draft: Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light, Bass, Guinness, Harp, Stella, Sierra Nevada, Shock Top, and Smithwicks.
Bottled: Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite, Killians, Blue Moon, Red Stripe, Corona, Sam Adams, Heineken, Smirnoff Ice, Mikes Hard Lemonade, O’Douls, Sierra Nevada and Bud Light Lime.

Of note: Thirsty Thursdays - $2 drink special, $1 beer special

US Steel Yard
Opened: 2002
Home of the Gary SouthShore RailCats
Northern League (independent)
2009 Opening Day: May 11

Indiana Beers Available:
Upland Wheat (bottle)

Other Beers Available:
Draft: Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Lite, Leinenkugel

Bottles/Cans: Miller Chill, St Pauli Girl, Corona, Red Stripe, Fosters, Pacifico, Leinenkugel, Dos Equis, Samuel Adams, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Lite, Miller High Life, Sharps non alcoholic

Of note: Thirsty Thursdays - $2 beer special

Coveleski Stadium
Opened: 1987
Home of the South Bend Silver Hawks
Midwest League
Single A Affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks
2009 Opening Day: April 13

Indiana Beers Available:
none

Other Beers Available:
Bud, Bud Light, MGD, Coors Light, Miller Lite, Leinekugel’s Sunset Wheat (draft only), Leinekugel’s Summer Shandy (draft only), Mike’s Hard Lemonade

Of note: Thirsty Thursdays - $2 beer special

Bosse Field
Opened: 1915
Home of the Evansville Otters
Frontier League
2009 Opening Day: May 15

Indiana Beers Available:
none

Other Beers Available:
Budweiser, Bud Light, Bud Select, AmberBock, Michelob, and Michelob Ultra.

Of note: Stadium was used to film the movie "A League of Their Own"

7 comments:

  1. Although I try to keep my expectations low, I am fairly disappointed in the Vic's non-fizzy-yellow selection when I am there. I believe that all pressure should be brought to bring an increased selection to the Vic! :)

    Also, cost is always an issue in these venues. I love the Thirsty Thursday idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parkview Field is also around the corner from JK O'Donnell's, which has quickly become Fort Wayne's beer mecca.

    http://www.jkodonnells.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get the Victory Amber when I'm there. I didn't realize they also had Razz Wheat. I'll have to look for that the next time I'm at a game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incidentally, I was a crowd extra in 'A League of Their Own'. I grew up in Evansville. You can't ever see me, but I can tell you what scenes I was there for. That being said, I'm ashamed they don't have Main Street/Turoni's brews at the ball park.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it's baseball without Old Style.

    On a side note, the new Parkview Field is only about a mile or so down Broadway to Mad Anthony's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my friends was Gina Davis' body double in A League of Their Own. I am surprised they don't have anything on draft from Turoni's. They brew some pretty good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Victory Field used to have Old Style. They served them from the vending carts, which are not included on their concession menu page. So it is possible that Old Style is still available at the Vic.

    ReplyDelete