17 March 2009

HBG Open Thread - St. Patrick's Day Edition

I'm not a Son of Erin by blood. But, I am one by marriage, so I enjoy getting into the spirit of St. Patrick's Day. That, of course, includes the beer.

We all know the St. Patrick's Day staples: Guinness, Harp, and some form of Irish Red (Killian's, Murphy's, etc.). And then there is that vile creation of American macro-brewers: green-tinted lager.

So the KOTBR want to know this--What beer are you drinking today? Are you going with any one or a combination of the above (we hope the answer is "no" on the green beer)? And if you are having a beer or beers, when and where are you drinking? Drop us a comment to let us know.

My choice: Three Floyds Black Sun Stout, this evening, at home. So Erin Go Bragh and all that stuff.

15 comments:

  1. I think it's going to be Three Floyds Brian Boru or Murphy's Red in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lunched at Claddagh downtown. Paddy Mac Sandwich and a Guinness.

    Planning on drinking some Schlafly Extra Irish Stout tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What time should I come by then, Jason?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked out for my St. Pattys Day lunch and my trainer told me to go drink green beer.

    I don't think I can get out of my office chair now so I'll just be drinking water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Schlafly's Irish stout at home, many a good drink and car-bomb once i get to the bar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm cooking with Guinness today - making Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes and a Guinness Molasses Bread.

    Usually I make an Irish Stew with Guinness or Harp, but that feels weird when it's 74 degrees out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have four packs of O'Hara's Irish Stout, Irish Red, and Curim Gold Wheat at home for later tonight. I am hoping to find some Brian Boru when I hit Fireside in G-wood after work, but not getting my hopes too high.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm drinking homebrew. I'm Irish, so that counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erik, I'm so disappointed in you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehe you know I still love some of those Macro-fizz beers. Once a year it's fun to dress 'em up a bit :-P

    btw.. just so you guys know.. my blog post about green beer naysaying was NOT directed towards HBG.. you're post just kind of walked into the path a little.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No offense taken. And the anti-green-beer snobbery is my viewpoint alone in terms of the KOTBR (at least I think it is; I never assume that I speak for everyone else). I just think that the green beer thing is silly. But then again, St. Patrick's day isn't meant to be serious, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. If it was ever meant to be taken seriously, it was well before my time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just emptied 3 Cutthroat Porters into my Hofbrau mug. Sláinte!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed an always lovely DFH 60 min and a Der Alt Konig, (I must admit I'm hazy on the name) a beer from Oaken Barrel's small batch series. Good stuff! Happy St. Pat's everyone.

    ReplyDelete