15 April 2007

John Lee Hooker would dig these beers


While drinking the two Bourbon barrel-aged beers that Barley Island's Jeff Eaton provided us, I couldn't help but think of the song "One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer". Now many folks will probably think of George Thoroughgood when I mention this song, though I should point out that it was written by the late, great blues man John Lee Hooker and he first recorded it in 1966.

Mr. Hooker was a man of great taste and knew that these three drinks complimented each other well. So it only makes sense that some beers will taste really good with a bourbon hit to it. And I think it is important to understand why.

What is bourbon? It is an American whiskey whose grains consist of mostly corn but also includes a combination of wheat, rye, and malted barley, distilled in water, and aged in charred oak barrels. And I should point out that I am a fan of bourbon. Actually, I'm a Hoosier Bourbon Geek. Sounds like a great name for a new blog...

So let's look at the two beers that we sampled. One was their Brass Knuckles Oatmeal Stout, which is heavy on the malts, and the other is their Barfly India Pale Ale, which is heavy on the hops. Just from the simple description of one beer was malty, the other hoppy, you should be able to determine which beer should match better with bourbon.

The Bourbon Stout was incredible. They take a used Buffalo Trace bourbon barrel and pour their stout in. The stout soaks up some of the residual flavors and aromas of the bourbon. When finished, the Stout takes on my favorite characteristic of bourbon: the caramelized malt flavor and aroma. The beer's aroma had a subtle hint of bourbon and the malty goodness that you appreciate in a stout is emphasized even more with the added bourbon component.

The Bourbon IPA was a first for me. Jeff pointed out that they used bourbon barrels that have already had beer in it for their Bourbon IPA. To put it crudely, IPA gets the Stouts sloppy seconds. I think the IPA in all its hoppiness is able to pull out all the residual bitters and alcohol from the barrel. It results in an IPA that is heavy in bourbon aroma and strong on alcohol flavor. It's an incredible one-two punch. POW! Strong bourbon bite comes from the left. BAM! The IPA hoppiness punch comes in from the right. If you are a gluten for punishment (I am), this beer is right up your alley.

I enjoyed both beers. The Bourbon Stout would pair well with a prime rib dinner. The Bourbon IPA would pair well with spicy Indian, Thai, or Tex-Mex cuisine. Both have their place; both I would drink again in a heart beat.

I'm giving 4.5 mugs to the Bourbon Stout. Everything about it was wonderful for me: the aroma, the dark pour, the thick head, the creamy mouthfeel, the slight dry aftertaste, the tasty malty wonderfulness. I'll be purchasing some 22 ounce bottles from Barley Island soon.

I'm giving the Bourbon IPA a 3.5 mug rating. It's a beer that I have to be in the mood for. The aroma is overwhelmingly bourbon, the pour was light, the head thin, and the mouthfeel crisp. It has a bite. A double bite. It's like the clash of the titans in my mouth, but in a good way.

I want to thank Jeff for meeting with us, talking to us, and taking us on the brewery tour. And kudos to him for turning his home brewing passion into a vocation.

1 comment:

  1. The Bourbon Stout sounds wonderful. I have to say that Bourbon and IPA sound like a weird combination, but I'm going to have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete