16 March 2007

Review by proxy - Brugge Brasserie's Quadripple

This is the first time that I think I'm late to the game in posting a review. But, being the last makes my job easy because everyone has basically said everything there is to be said. In addition, I have the benefit of having just received a review written by Mike, who, along with Gina, joined us once again. So, in lieu of a long-winded piece of prosaic art written by yours truly, here is Mike's first review ever for Hoosier Beer Geek (by the way, Quadripple gets 4 mugs from me):

Somewhere between the sort of reviews that the other folks write and "Man, I was so trashed last night" lies a sweet spot, where those of us who don't know hops from barley live. I'm going to attempt to write from that place, because I've really got no business writing about beer anyway.

Last night's feature beer was Brugge Brasserie's Quadripple. Can I remember what it taste like? Fruit, I think. Can I remember what it felt like? Well, sorta.

You see, I'm the type of person who needs a couple beers to loosen up enough to hold a conversation. While I realize that it's completely ridiculous, it seems to work. One of the great things about Brugge's beers (aside from being quite tasty) is that it only takes one to loosen me up. After my warm-up beer (The Black), I was ready to go; conversation flowed freely, my girlfriend smiled, and everything I said was funny and clever.

I don't remember any details of what I said, but the memories... well, they're some of the best I've ever had.

But maybe that's got something to do with the Quadripple. At 12% alcohol by volume, it does a fine job of making everything a little better. Even though it had a high alcohol content, the taste wasn't overpowering. I never would have known the beer was so strong had Jim not asked - though I did overhear Shannon (a Brugge waitress) mention that she could see Quadripple's work on the faces of patrons.

At the end of the night I had had plenty of good conversation, a lingering but pleasant taste in my mouth, and a nice mellow feeling. And I made it to work today without any problems. I think that's all you can ask of a beer. I'd give it 4 mugs.

3 comments:

  1. Man... what a great review. You guys might want to bring this guy on full time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have a fan, Mike. But I notice that the commenter came to HBG through your blog. Hmmmmm....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys could make it last night, Mike & Gina.

    ReplyDelete