First things, first: you're in downtown Indianapolis and you're a hop skip and a jump away from a local beer just about anywhere! For tips on where to go, take a look at Hoosier Beer Geek's Guide to Downtown. Within easy walking distance of downtown hotels there are a pair of brewpubs and virtually every bar and restaurant has some craft beer to offer you.
But say you've been to Indy before or you're here for Super Bowl XLVI and have already been knocking around downtown for a few days. You're itching for something new.....again, though, you have NO CAR.
Mass Ave., College Ave. and Broad Ripple Ave. (click the links for more detailed info about beer destinations on this route). Take a look below for all the information you'll need on your bar-hopping bus trip plus some additional information specific to bus transportation during Super Bowl XLVI.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT INDYGO:
- IndyGo runs the buses around Indianapolis. Find info online or in their downtown retail space at 34 N Delaware St (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, Sat 9am-noon).
- TIP: IndyGo routes and schedules are accessible through Google Maps directions. To have Google Maps tell you which bus to take, just click the public transportation icon (the one that looks like a bus or train) directly above the boxes where you enter your locations.
- IndyGo Fares:
- Single ride: $1.75
- All-day pass: $4
- 7-day pass: $20
- 31-day pass: $60
- SPECIAL NOTE: all IndyGo bus boardings will be free Thursday, February 2nd through Sunday, February 5th in conjunction with Super Bowl XLVI (airport Green Line excluded)
- All about the #17 bus:
- Route operates between downtown and Glendale Town Center, with stops on Mass Ave, College Ave, and Broad Ripple Ave.
- Operates Mon-Fri, 5am to 10pm at 30 minute intervals
- Sat/Sun hours may be slightly different -- check the online schedule for exact times
- Brewpubs and brewery tasting rooms along the #17 route:
- Bars and restaurants with noteworthy beer lists on the #17 route:
SPECIAL SUPER BOWL XLVI BUS INFORMATION:
As a special incentive to encourage using public transportation during the Super Bowl XLVI festivities, ALL IndyGo bus boardings will be free Thursday, February 2 through Sunday, February 5th (airport Green Line excluded). In addition, a special bus line will operate during Super Bowl XLVI that circulates between downtown, Mass Ave and Fountain Square. Monarch Beverage and World Class Beer will sponsor the bus, with service times and stop information available below:
Mass Ave will have FREE shuttle service Feb. 2 - 4 from 11 a.m. - 1 a.m. Shuttle stops can be found on Mass Ave: 300 block near Alabama/Vermont intersection; 600 block near Dean Johnson & 800 block near IPS bus entrance. Additional stops are Indianapolis City Market, Indiana Government Center, Fletcher Place and Fountain Square. Shuttles will run along Mass Ave to the Indianapolis City Market, through Downtown, to Fountain square and back to Mass Ave. Shuttles can accommodate 25 passengers and will have on-board concierges at all times.We'd love to see a bus route like this become permanent (even just Fri/Sat service would be great) but we'll certainly take advantage during the brief time that it's available. Get on board and enjoy all the independent bars and restaurants outside the core of downtown!
OTHER BREWERIES BY BUS:
For the adventurous types with some time to kill, these far-flung breweries and brewpubs can also be reached from downtown on the following bus lines:
- Triton Brewing Company - #4 Bus, Ft. Harrison Line
- Fountain Square Brewing Co. - #14 Bus, Prospect Line
- Rock Bottom College Park - #34 Bus, Dr. ML King / Michigan Rd. Line
- BJs Brewhouse - #31 Bus, Greenwood Line
- Black Acre Brewing Co. - #8 Bus, Washington St. Line (NOTE: not open at press time but expected to open very soon; check their website for details)
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN RIDING THE BUS!