29 November 2011

Cheap Bombers Found in Ohio

This is The Brew Kettle's Four C's.


This bomber was 2.99 at Jungle Jim's.  When I saw it on the shelf at that price, I assumed I was signing myself up for a trainwreck of a beer.  But I ventured forward, knowing that I had to prove to Matt that reasonably priced bombers did exist - and I'm glad I did.  This is a beer I would have bought at twice the price.  The "Four C's" name refers to the common Pacific Northwest hops of Cascade, Centennial, Columbus and Chinook.  All 4 hops were well represented.  The Centennial hops immediately made me think of Bell's Two-Hearted.  Cascade provided a hefty grapefruit character, with Columbus backing it up through the introduction of other citrus flavors.  Chinook rounded everything out with an earthy pine flavor.  Really this was just a great example of how well these 4 hops work together.  And just to top things off for my personal tastes, there was enough of a malt backing to prevent this from being over-the-top bitter.

And even better, it was 2.99.  Next time I'm at Jungle Jim's I'm buying more of these.  It's not the best IPA I've ever had, but at roughly the equivalent of 9.50 a six-pack, it's certainly worth the money.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up - we've been talking about making another trip to Cinci to restock. I'll have to check this out, as it sounds delicious.

    Though I'll say this post has highlighted how expensive typically-priced bombers really are. To me $9.50/6-pack isn't a particularly screaming deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, agreed, Tom H. Not really a deal per se and indicative of the rediculousness of individual beer prices.

    ReplyDelete