26 February 2007

Pork barbeque in a bottle...and I mean it in a good way

It's been over a month since our last beer review. Certainly, it is well overdue. At this particular review, we were honored with the presence of guests Mike and Gina, friends of Jim, who was also in attendance. Chris joined as usual. And we sat at the bar in the brew house area of the Oaken Barrel Restaurant and Brewery in Greenwood.

It is always interesting to hear what people initially think of a beer. When Jim took a sniff of Oaken Barrel's Snake Pit Porter, his initial response was "Hickory". Which I thought was humorous.

Until I took a sniff. It wasn't just hickory. It was the smell of hickory smoke used to roast a pig for a big party. Seriously. In scent and taste, the Snake Pit Porter makes me think of really good slow roasted pork topped with a nice, spicy sauce.

Certainly this comes from the malts used that lend to hints of molasses as well as some slight chocolate and coffee notes. Smokey. Roasted. And tasty. It's a smooth porter with a robust bite. I will be bringing this beer out for some of my summer cookouts.

The porter looks like it tastes: very dark with an almost dark amber or ruby tint to it. It pours with a dark, tan head.

I'm going to give this beer 3.5 mugs. It's a good beer, but it's not one that I would drink regularly. Only in the months of May through September when the propane or charcoal grill is a roaring.

1 comment: